Read policy below for more information.
TEKsystems Academy is built on the Appsembler edX platform. Specific data collection technologies used on the Appsembler platform can be found here.
TEKsystems Academy courses also frequently use third party tools, such as YouTube or GoogleDocs. Data may be shared with and cookies created by these third parties that are necessary for the delivery of course content. Through the EdX platform, TEKsystems Academy directly collects information when you:
- sign up for an account and create a user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product or service
- send email messages to TEKsystems (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the TEKsystems Academy Site.
TEKsystems also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the TEKsystems Academy Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and Tracking Technologies. TEKsystems Academy is built on the Appsembler edX platform. TEKsystems does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority.
TEKsystems requires your Personal Information only in limited circumstances when you:
- sign up for an edX user account (name, username, email address);
- participate in remote proctoring or other course facilitation processes allowing for monitoring and assessing the integrity of your course activity or
To the extent that TEKsystems associates the information that is collected directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the edX Site, for example:
- in your TEKsystems Academy account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other Site users); •
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the TEKsystems Academy Site (noting that in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance for the TEKsystems Academy site or a course).
TEKsystems encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the TEKsystems Academy Site. (If you later choose to delete your account, deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.)
COOKIES AND TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
TEKsystems Academy is built on the Appsembler edX platform. Specific tracking technologies used on the Appsembler platform can be found here.
TEKsystems Academy courses also frequently use third party tools, such as YouTube, Slack, GitHub, or GoogleDocs. Data may be shared with and cookies created by these third parties that are necessary for the delivery of course content.
- based on your cookie settings, TEKsystems tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the edX Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used; •
- TEKsystems Academy may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use edX native mobile apps) you used when accessing the TEKsystems Academy Site, and TEKsystems may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- TEKsystems may track and collect information from emails that TEKsystems Academy sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
TEKsystems also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the TEKsystems Academy Site, how you interact with TEKsystems Academy’s social media.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the TEKsystems Academy Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the TEKsystems Academy Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help TEKsystems gather information about how visitors use the TEKsystems Academy Site and monitor TEKsystems Academy Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the TEKsystems Academy Site before and may have any personal preferences; and
You have some options for managing Cookies and other Tracking Technologies. These include:
- Modifying your browser settings: You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notification of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject TEKsystems Academy’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the TEKsystems Academy Site may not work properly.
- Opting-out of certain third-party tracking and advertising: Some of the third parties used by TEKsystems Academy for Cookies and Tracking Technologies offer the ability to opt-out from their tracking by following processes described on their websites. A list of some such third parties is maintained and available at the edX learner Help Center and includes, for some, links to applicable opt-out processes. Neither edX nor any Member is responsible for the effectiveness of any third-party opt-out options.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
TEKsystems uses information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Operate and improve the TEKsystems Academy Site – This includes creating and improving features that support the TEKsystems Academy community and enable TEKsystems Academy Site usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the TEKsystems Academy Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, provide, and teach courses – This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses (MOOC) and programs on TEKsystems Academy. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the TEKsystems Academy Site, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the TEKsystems Academy Site and to learn effectively in such courses and programs.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the TEKsystems Academy Site – This includes tracking TEKsystems Academy Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the edX Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions and notifying you of course and TEKsystems Academy Site maintenance and updates.
- Track edX Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations – This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of edX, Members, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
TEKsystems may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
TEKsystems shares information, including Personal Information, with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the edX Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the TEKsystems Academy Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, TEKsystems may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
- With employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes – If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your course participation, TEKsystems will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
TEKsystems may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you
HOW TO MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can manage your Personal Information through learner features on the TEKsystems Academy Site and requests to the TEKsystems Academy learner support team. TEKsystems will provide support to the extent required by applicable law (for example, learners in the European Union) and more broadly when possible, as a courtesy in our sole discretion. TEKsytems will notify you in the event that TEKsytems is unable to meet a request that is not legally required.
Access and correct your Personal Information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your TEKsystems Academy account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your TEKsystems Academy account except as noted below. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses in which you have enrolled. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses. Please contact TEKsystems Academy learner support to access and update this or other information
- Usernames cannot ever be changed. This is an TEKsystems Academy (edX) system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the TEKsystems Academy Site, TEKsystems encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username. If you want to protect your identity, do not use your real name or a name identifiable to you as your username.
- TEKsystems does not track or index every time or every place on the TEKsystems Academy Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so TEKsystems Academy will not be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. TEKsystems encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the TEKsystems Academy Site.
Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information
If you want to manage emails and other communications to you, you may update your preferences in your TEKsystems Academy account dashboard, follow the steps described in links at the bottom of email messages, or contact edX learner support. You may object to, or request that TEKsystems Academy stop, its use of your Personal Information for other purposes by contacting the TEKsystems Academy learner support team. Please note that if you choose to restrict TEKsystems ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with various services and products offered on the TEKsystems Academy Site, you may not be able to establish an TEKsystems Academy user account or enroll for a course, and TEKsystems may not be able to provide you with those services or products.
Delete account and Personal Information
To request deletion of your TEKsystems Academy account and Personal Information, you should click the button labeled “Delete my account” in your TEKsystems Academy account settings. Because deletion on the TEKsystems Academy system is a permanent action and cannot be reversed, TEKsystems may ask you to complete a process that aims to confirm your authority to manage the TEKsystems Academy account affected by your request.
With respect to your edX account, edX will permanently:
- deactivate your TEKsystems Academy account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from TEKsystems Academy email lists.
With respect to your Personal Information, TEKsystems will permanently delete your TEKsystems Academy account profile Personal Information from the TEKsystems Academy Site.
As noted above, to the extent that TEKsystems associates the information that TEKsystems Academy collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your TEKsystems Academy account profile. By erasing the Personal Information in your TEKsystems Academy account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the TEKsystems Academy Site will no longer be associated with you, except as noted below.
These changes will be applied to data stores that are used for operation of the TEKsystems Academy Site.
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally “age-off” the edX system.
- TEKsystems does not track or index every time or every place on the TEKsystems Academy Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so TEKsystems will be not able to help you locate or manage all such instances. TEKsystems encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your Personal Information on the TEKsystems Academy Site.
- TEKsystems will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
TEKsystems will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with TEKsystems’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. Upon your request that TEKsystems deactivate your account and delete your information, TEKsystems will follow the process described above.
STORAGE & SECURITY
TEKsystems stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and also on servers of companies that TEKsystems hires to provide services. In each case, information may be stored in the United States and in other countries where TEKsystems or service provider operates. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you acknowledge that TEKsystems or service providers may transfer, process and store your personal information in the United States and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered less strict than those of your region.
TEKsystems controls its own copy of information collected through the TEKsystems Academy Site and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. TEKsystems uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, TEKsystems cannot guarantee its absolute security. While TEKsystems works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, TEKsystems cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If TEKsystems learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, TEKsystems may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the TEKsystems Academy Site or providing Personal Information to TEKsystems, you agree that TEKsystems can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the TEKsystems Academy Site. If a security systems breach occurs, TEKsystems may post a notice on the TEKsystems Academy homepage (https://teksystems.tahoe.appsembler.com/) and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your TEKsystems Academy account. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that TEKsystems maintains about you, please contact us at:
Cookies are unique identifiers usually in the form of small data files placed on your device that send certain information about your activity on the TEKsystems Academy Site or in an email communication back to TEKsystems or the authorized third party that served the cookie. TEKsystems or third parties may also use Flash cookies.
TEKsystems Academy Site consists of all content and pages located within the https://teksystems.tahoe.appsembler.com web domain and all TEKsystems Academy mobile applications.
Personal Information is information that specifically identifies you or that, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you.
Tracking Technologies are web beacons, clear gifs, pixels, and similar technologies that are also unique identifiers used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.
May 11, 2020